Cursed Cutlass of Kaflu
From Monkey Island wiki
The Cursed Cutlass of Kaflu is an item from Tales of Monkey Island. The real purpose of the Cutlass has never been explained, but it appears to be an ancient artifact which, once properly enchanted, can destroy a being of voodoo (such as LeChuck). It is implied that before Tales Guybrush received instructions from the Voodoo Lady on how to enchant one and has been adventuring a lot before gathering all the necessary ingredients, with only the root beer left to mix before completion.
In "Launch of the Screaming Narwhal", Guybrush attempts to use the Cutlass to defeat LeChuck. However, just before spraying it with root beer, his and Elaine's ships (with LeChuck on it) collide, resulting in Guybrush breaking the bottle. He is then forced to quickly improvise some grog in which to dip the Cutlass. The improvised root beer appears to have the desired effect, but instead of slaying LeChuck, the Cutlass turns him human and spreads his evil 'mojo' as a pox all over the Caribbean. Later the Voodoo Lady mentions that the Cutlass should have been able to destroy LeChuck if Guybrush wouldn't have substituted one of the enchantment's ingredients.
The Cutlass reappears briefly in "The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood" when LeChuck, reverting to his demonic form, uses it to run Guybrush through and duel Elaine.
In "Rise of the Pirate God", LeChuck empowers the Cutlass with demonic voodoo power from the Crossroads that no mortal can touch and intends to kill the Voodoo Lady. He taunts Guybrush to stab him with the Cutlass, throwing it into his ship's mast during their confrontation, but Guybrush is unable to withstand its power and hold onto it. Elaine, transformed into LeChuck's demon bride, takes hold of the blade, which she is still able to wield after Guybrush has shrunk La Esponja Grande and reverted her back to normal. (The Cutlass is also rendered much less powerful.) Guybrush then tricks LeChuck into becoming trapped between the physical world and the Crossroads, where he is impaled by both Elaine with the Cutlass and Morgan LeFlay with her own sword. The fate of the Cutlass (as LeChuck's) becomes unknown.
LeChuck implies, during the final confrontation, that he was not ignorant of the Cutlass's existence and that he knows far more about it than any of the other characters, implying that he intended for the weapon to release his voodoo energies in the Pox of LeChuck and render him as a human once more to entice Guybrush to locate La Esponja Grande in order to steal the treasure for his own purposes.
Ingredients for The Cursed Cutlass of Kaflu are:
- Steal 37 oz. of blood-stained silver
- Ultimate Insult
- Midas Diamond
- Voodoo doll
- Enchanted root beer bottle (root beer must be FIZZY)
- Combine the first four ingredients to create the cutlass.
- Spray the cutlass with enchanted root beer.
- Serves one.
- The items used to make the cutlass resemble items used to defeat LeChuck or that form a major part of the quest in previous games:
- A voodoo anti-root is used to defeat LeChuck in The Secret of Monkey Island.
- A voodoo doll is used against him in Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge.
- The Midas Diamond probably resembles a diamond ring that he has cursed into turning Elaine into a gold statue (thus being true to its name) in The Curse of Monkey Island; the ring is destroyed when replaced with the Goodsoup Family Diamond ring, which is used to lift his curse.
- The Ultimate Insult is the weapon that destroys him in Escape from Monkey Island.
- In the PS3 version of Tales, when Guybrush is forced to ad-lib the recipe and use the cutlass in an attempt to destroy LeChuck, the player is rewarded with a "LeChuck Slayer" silver trophy in the "PlayStation Network Trophy Achievements", and the recipe itself is one of the items searched in every nook and cranny of Guybrush's and Elaine's ships (prior to meeting the Voodoo Lady and examining everything in her house, including Nor Treblig's shrine) in order to earn a "Why Is My Older Brother Laughing?" bronze trophy. Near the end of Chapter 5, when Guybrush manages to entrap and destroy LeChuck with help from Elaine's cutlass and Morgan's Blade of Dragotta, the reward is the final gold trophy labeled "Fall of the Pirate God".