From Monkey Island wiki
|Hair Color||Light Brown|
Bailiff Killick Hardtack appears in Tales of Monkey Island, initially as a member of McGillicutty's pirate crew. He works for Captain McGillicutty as the chef on board his ship. Guybrush notes that Hardtack has an incredibly pleasant body odor, which is "the savory smell of thinly sliced potatoes, fried crisp and golden with a touch of honey and a dash of salt," which is his reminder of how he longs to be peeling his potatoes.
In "The Siege of Spinner Cay", he is usually seen with Murkel Trenchfoot, and is seemingly the less intelligent of the two. Guybrush first encounters him when he and Trenchfoot are arguing over who gets to bury the Sea Horse Summoning Artifact entrusted to them by McGillicutty, and later encounters him on the open seas, keeping Guybrush from passing through the blockade using a cannon. When Guybrush manages to slip past the blockade Hardtack and Trenchfoot are later seen on Brillig Island looking for the Summoning Artifact which they buried, knowing they can't go back to McGillicutty without being severely punished.
Along with Trenchfoot, Hardtack returns in "The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood", this time serving as "bailiff-slash-chef" for Judge Wallace Grindstump in Guybrush's trial, creating all sorts of new delicacies for Grindstump's Club 41 and providing Flotsam's prisons with the finest in haute cuisine (for only the guards and judges). (The reason why he and Trenchfoot end up on Flotsam is that they found themselves stranded when they learned that Guybrush had sunk McGillicutty's ship, and so they "drifted on a bit before landing here on Flotsam".) He is one of four pirates with a personal case against Guybrush, and he later admits he completely made up his own—accusing Guybrush of defacing his "X"—because Stan convinced him he could make some money. His punishment for wasting the court's time is to wear "Lizink's Wig of Foppery", which is actually a golden girl's wig with a small blue hat for the remainder of the episode.
"Hardtack" is a type of cracker or biscuit, incredibly hard and dry, which is baked four times in preparation for long voyages.
- Bailiff Hardtack's line in the accusation against Guybrush, "He dug up my perfectly good X!" was the winning line in the "How Has Guybrush Wronged You Competition" in the "Game Designer for a Day" contest (which is also mentioned in the end credits of "The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood") that started on July 14, 2009, a week after the release of "Launch of the Screaming Narwhal"; and Lizink's Wig of Foppery, which is what Hardtack is forced to wear, is a reference to the nickname of Telltale Games' contest winner, Liz Johnston, of Okanagan, British Columbia, Canada (also mentioned in the credits among runners-up Andrei "Silver Wolf" Constantinescu, Corrado Rafaelli, Ivan Brett, and Julien Pirou).
- In the PS3 version of "The Siege of Spinner Cay", Guybrush can use his hook on Hardtack at the blockade prior to helping LeChuck fend off against the poxed pirates (as well as Morgan LeFlay and his other enemies) in order to earn the player a "Talk to the Hook" bronze trophy in the PlayStation Network Trophy Achievements. In "The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood, Guybrush can clear Hardtack's charge against him along with the other charges in order to earn the player the "Ayyyye, the Jury" silver trophy.
- Tales of Monkey Island - "The Siege of Spinner Cay" (First appearance)
- Tales of Monkey Island - "The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood"
- ↑ Telltale Games - Contest: Accuse Guybrush Threepwood of wrongdoing!
- ↑ Telltale Games - PAX Wrap-up
- ↑ Telltale Announces Tales of Monkey Island "Game Designer for the Day" Contest Winner
|Brian Sommer||Tales of Monkey Island (2009)|